Personal Lines

Reid Hamilton’s experienced personal lines team can arrange insurance for your home including personal possessions and valuables, home business, car and van, boat, horse, travel and musical instruments. All claims are handled in-house, usually by the same person who arranged your policy in the first place, so you have one point of contact and no call centres!

Household Insurance

All our insurers offer excellent levels of cover for your household buildings (including garages and outhouses), domestic contents and personal liability with the option to include accidental damage for buildings and contents, personal possessions, valuables, pedal cycles and legal expenses. While the policies we arrange reflect the favourable local conditions in Lancaster, such as low crime rates and low flood risk, every policy is tailored to suit your individual requirements.

We can also arrange cover for non-standard construction properties including thatched houses, listed buildings and for owners of more valuable houses and contents, where a more personalised approach is needed.

Renovation and unoccupied properties

We also have access to insurers who specialise in these types of properties as the requirements are different from normal houses. Cover can be arranged for 1 – 12 months depending on your needs.

Working from Home

work-laptop.pngWith increasing numbers of self employed people deciding to work from home, our panel of insurers can offer comprehensive cover for your business assets and liabilities either on their own or  with the option to include cover for the household buildings, contents and extras associated with a traditional household policy. Working from home policies can cover a wide range of trades including clerical and light manufacturing such as arts and crafts.

Private Car

car.pngAt Reid Hamilton we have access to more than 300 motor insurance schemes. We can offer cover for uninsured losses (legal expenses) arranged though a well known firm of local solicitors for a small additional cost. We understand that everyone wants to save money on their car insurance and our knowledge, expertise and attention to detail could save you money.

For learner drivers we can arrange cover for up to 3 months at a time until you pass your test. This will insure you to drive a specified car, but in the event of a bump, the owner will not lose their no claims bonus.

Classic Car:

At Reid Hamilton we know that your classic or vintage vehicle is your pride and joy. We can arrange specialist classic car insurance for vehicles over 15 years of age, to offer the best protection for you and your car. Policies can be tailored to suit your individual needs with limited mileage policies and laid up cover available if needed.

Commercial Vehicle, Agricultural vehicle and Special Types Vehicles

We understand that many businesses rely on their vehicles and that even a minor bump can bring business to a standstill. At Reid Hamilton we arrange cover that responds quickly in the event of a claim, for commercial vehicles up to 3.5t gross. Additional cover can be arranged for attached and detached trailers if required. Our insurers can accommodate multiple commercial vehicles under one policy with each earning its own no claims bonus or on a fleet rated basis.

Agricultural and special types vehicles can be insured individually, under a multi-vehicle, mixed use policy or as part of a larger motor fleet depending on your needs.

As with our private motor policies, Uninsured Loss Recovery (Legal Expenses) cover is available to all our commercial motor and fleet clients through a firm of well known, local solicitors for a small additional cost.


Through our panel of travel insurers we can arrange single trip and annual cover for you and your family or group for travel within the European Union or worldwide with or without travel to the USA Canada and/or Caribbean. For the adventurous traveller, we can arrange winter sports and hazardous activities cover.

All our policies include cover for Cancellation and Curtailment, Repatriation and Medical Expenses while overseas, with the option to include cover for your Personal Belongings and Travel Disruption (due to bad weather).


We can arrange cover  for  you and your horse(s) whether you are ride for leisure or compete. Cover can include the following:

  • Tack, equipment and trailer
  • Personal Accident for you, including a specified amount for dental treatment
  • Temporary or permanent  Loss of Use
  • Mortality and Theft
  • Vets Fees
  •  Public Liability for third party injury/property damage


We can arrange cover for small craft, river/canal/broads boats and yachts and motorboats used for leisure or business.

Policies can include the following sections:

  • Accidental Damage cover
  • Motor and Electrical Machinery
  • Personal Effects and/or Valuables
  • Mopeds/Motorcycles while on board
  • Inspection following Grounding
  • Pollution
  • Medical Expenses and/or Personal Accident
  • Water Skiing
  • Emergency Assistance
  • Loss of Use
  •  Charter

Musical Instruments

Whether you are a keen amateur or a professional musician, we can arrange the right cover to protect you and your instruments. Music policies are suitable for amateur and professional musicians, retailers, teachers, orchestras/ensembles, bands, studio producers, instrument repairers, DJs and musical societies.

Cover can include:

  • Worldwide All Risks Cover – accidental loss or damage to instruments
  • Specialist claims service to track down lost or stolen instruments
  • Loss or Damage while in Use
  • Theft from unattended vehicles
  • Theft from you place of work/study
  • Damage in Transit
  • Accessories cover (e.g. cases)
  • Cost of hiring alternative instruments following a claim
  • Public Liability and Personal Accident
  • Cover for all string, woodwind, brass, orchestral percussion and acoustic instruments or electric, digital instruments including guitars, amplifiers and drum kits

Reid Hamilton Insurance Brokers

biba-logo-80px.pngReid Hamilton Insurance Brokers is a trading name of Guy Penn & Company Limited, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. 

Registered in England & Wales no. 1019647

 It is our intention to provide you with the highest possible level of customer service at all times. However we recognise that things can go wrong on occasion and if this occurs we are committed to resolving matters promptly and fairly.

Should you not be satisfied with our final response, you may be entitled to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). More information is available on request or on their website,


Reid Hamilton Insurance Brokerslocation-pin.png

3 Queen Square



Tel: 01524 39939
Fax: 01524 382402